View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 20:56

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Odyssey of Extending the AR AR.Drone Wifi using TL-WA830RE 
Just flips over

New post Odyssey of Extending the AR AR.Drone Wifi using TL-WA830RE
Hi all,

I just bought a Wifi device from the local PC store today.
Will be doing an experiment of Extending the AR AR.Drone Wifi using yet another Wifi device.
This Wifi device is by TP-Link.
Model/Part No. TL-WA830RE (WA : Wireless Access ; RE : Range Extender)

So far set up has been even easier than AmpedSR 10000 and others that I have read up in this forum.
Because it is so easy, I am doubting myself at the moment.
I will be doing some testing soon.
If you like to follow this project, please sticky tape it and do pop your questions here.

Initial setup was a breeze and some initial observation test seems positive. Please note these are grounded test. No flying involve yet. I am still feeling my way around. Give me your encouragements and blessings.

If I am successful, I will be doing a full tutorial on it.(hopefully)

Cheers,
Aki

17 Jun 2012, 16:04
Ready for take off

New post Re: Odyssey of Extending the AR AR.Drone Wifi using TL-WA830RE
Sounds great :)
Do you know how many miliwatts or dBm the repeater has?

17 Jun 2012, 18:25
Just flips over

nestergaard wrote:
Sounds great :)
Do you know how many miliwatts or dBm the repeater has?

Hi, nestergaard.

Here are the full specifications. http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/185259/Access_Points/TP-Link/TL-WA830RE.asp

In terms of technical aspect, I am trying to understand the difference between a Wifi-Repeater and a Wifi Extender and how it works. Mine is a Wifi-Extender.

In comparing the setup that a member (Markus Unread) has implemented with the AMP SR300, there are some subtle difference.
Markus specifically mentioned about the extended network having a different SSID which he named "DRONENET". I did not have this setting to play with using the TL-WA830RE. So as we can understand, I was initially doubtful whether I have done things correctly with the TL-WA830RE. For one thing was immediately crucial..

If the SSID of the extended network and the AP (in our case the AR AR.Drone) is identical, how do I know if I am connected to the Extended network or the original AP (the AR.Drone)?? Having this doubt, I went to do a static range test, which I felt was the next logical step in verifying the connections

Setup:

1) AR AR.Drone 2.0 was place on the deck of my dashboard.
2) The TL-WA830RE was connected to the power adapter and placed on the air-con unit outside my window.
3) The separation between the TL-WA830RE and the AR-AR.Drone was approximately 7m to 9m.
4) I walked around and went 4 floors down to the ground floor and walk about 100 m away from my apartment holding my ipad, observing the network list that shows up under the ipad network settings (hotspots surfing)

To my amazement, I was able to connect to the AR AR.Drone at that distance of 100m. I am pretty sure this was due to the work of the Wifi-extender for without the Wifi-extender in the in between, I would not have detected the AR AR.Drone 2.0 even at half the distance because no Line of sight to my AR.Drone in the living room and also not forgetting the walls in between.

At this junction, this are becoming a lot clearer and very hopeful now.
I reckon that I would not do a flight test until I have solved the battery pack power supply issue to the TL-WA830RE. Until I have the battery pack, the set-up is not truly mobile yet as this implementation has to rely on the wifi extender being connected to a wall socket.

Meanwhile, I will try to show some signal strength pictures, with description if possible. It's 2 a.m now where I live so I am going to have to get some rest.

Before I end off, I would like to seek some assistance from anyone who has some knowledge on where to get a battery pack that delivers 12 VDC , 1 Amp ? Markus Unread seems to have found a source. Have pm him and need some answers from anyone who has a referral/source.

Feel Free to comment. Thanks.

17 Jun 2012, 18:53
Chased the cat

Harbor freight has a 12 v jump pack for starting your car that would run your tx all day and they are about 40bucks

19 Jun 2012, 12:36
Just flips over

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1
I plan to power the same range extender with a AR.Drone battery. I have ordered a battery alarm and a battery tester along with some connectors already with short leads. These are relativly cheap. The idea is to use a spent AR.Drone battery until the alarm goes off. Discharging the battery would be bad but I the thinking is there is probably some life left in it to power an RE compared with powering the AR.Drone at much higher current. May add an inline fuse holder too. Lots of warnings about fires etc with RC batteries. I will try and remember to update you if I get further with this. Battery connectors are described here...

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/wiki/Battery

Google or ebay LiPo battery alarms. Not sure if the alarm will fit on the charger connector directly. I have connectors on order but may not need them. The AR.Drone is a 3s battery.

Also not sure if 11.1 volts will be enough, I will try to remember to post progress.

19 Jun 2012, 15:00
Just flips over

I tried the TL-WA830RE off a spare battery and it appeared to power and operate OK. Not tried it the/a field. Used a RC LiPo batterey meter widget. This should monitor battery but will have to keep checking it. Alarm has not arived yet. May post a pic if I remember.

21 Jun 2012, 13:27
Just flips over

I too would be very interested in a detailed guide on how to set this up.

Thanks in advance!

If it's 12v, I would suggest trying a 11.1v lipo to power it, it might just be enough, or 8 x AA cells in a pack.

22 Jun 2012, 03:05
Newcomer

The only thing that has held me back from getting one of those TL-WA830RE's is the lack of a proper guide.

If you could make that happen, that would be awesome :)

22 Jun 2012, 04:59
Just flips over

Shin Seiki wrote:
The only thing that has held me back from getting one of those TL-WA830RE's is the lack of a proper guide.

If you could make that happen, that would be awesome :)

I intend to. Just currently waiting to have the battery pack shipped to me. The TL-WA830RE (Range Extender) currently needs to be plugged to a socket. I need to break its "chains".

I am optimistic about it. Proof of concept has been done. The Technical people of TP-Link wrote to me. They verified that the range extender uses the same SSID. That assures me. Moreover, if you read my description, I am able to confirm via a static range test that the AR AR.Drone V2 is detectable over a larger range with the use of the range extender.

22 Jun 2012, 18:55
Just flips over

25 Jun 2012, 11:51
Chased the cat

well took mine out today and loved it ,here is how i powered it , it will run all day

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

30 Jun 2012, 23:00
Just flips over

lesodell wrote:
well took mine out today and loved it ,here is how i powered it , it will run all day

Excellent work. Any chance of a quick guide on how to set up the repeater?
Cheers

01 Jul 2012, 23:52
Chased the cat

Just watch the video a couple of posts up ,it works good

02 Jul 2012, 01:10
Just flips over

thanks, yeah I watched the video which was mostly about connecting a battery to the extender, with a brief section which showed the extender (apparently) connecting to the AR.Drone after pressing the extender button, but he mentioned that the first time, he possibly had to press it longer. Are there any other steps or setup to get it to connect to the AR.Drone and operate in extender mode? Does it just repeat the AR.Drone SSID or a different one? It didn't demonstate connecting the phone to the extender. Is it just connected to the same AR.Drone SSID? How do you know if it's connected to the AR.Drone or the extender?

02 Jul 2012, 01:51
Chased the cat

On mine it only shows the AR.Drone and as long as you did the startup right it is working , and the way u can tell is because you can now fly 3 or 4 times as far as you once did ,just try a flight without the booster then turn it on and you will know it is working , good luck

02 Jul 2012, 11:39
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next