View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 05:11

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
RC AR.Drone? 
Ready for take off

New post RC AR.Drone?
Has anyone looked into adapting a regular rc rx for the AR.Drone? First you would need a wiring diagram of the main board. Does the AR.Drone use a PPM stream in the control process? If it does, you could tap the PPM stream from the rx and tie into the PPM stream on the AR.Drone? It sounds easy but I'm sure it's more then that.

Brian.

05 Nov 2010, 00:54
Site Admin

Multicopter Type: Quad-Copter
New post Re: RC AR.Drone?
Already being talked about.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=388

05 Nov 2010, 09:27
Profile WWW
Ready for take off

This was posted on the RCGroups AR.Drone owners thread.

Quote:

The readily available communication channel with the AR.Drone is WIFI. The AR.Drone is controlled by sending "Commands (Take off, Land, Pitch, Yaw etc.) " to the UDP port 5556 on the AR.Drone. That's what the AR.FreeFlight on iPhone does. So, we simply replace the iPhone with an ArDuino with WiShield WIFI module. Program the Arduino to read the RC RX signals then convert this to AR.Drone commands and send it over WIFI to control the AR.Drone. Essentially we are not hacking the AR.Drone at all. The AR.Drone can still be used with iPhone, just simply switch the Arduino off.

My progress is a bit slow, "Work" gets in the way. I will try to upload a video showing simple ArDrone movements controlled from an R/C TX in a day or 2. I will also post the Arduino Sketch for others to improve.

As for connecting the RX directly to the COM port of the AR.Drone, I do not think it will be easy. But if we put something in between to convert the RC signals to Serial signal then I think this is possible. We can program the Arduino to convert the RX signal to Serial and talk to the AR.Drone directly. No need for the WIFI module. For this to work we would need to do the following.

1) We need a program to test sending UDP commands from within the AR.Drone Linux to the AR.Drone command server
2) If the above is possible , then all we need is a program to read the values from the Serial port and convert this to AR.Drone commands and send to the command process of the AR.Drone.

05 Nov 2010, 17:43
Site Admin

Multicopter Type: Quad-Copter
I have a library which I have been creating on my Mac at present that's still in development for controlling the AR AR.Drone with the Arduino.

I'm slowly plowing though the library and a sketch that will take data from a NMEA GPS shield and forward to the WiFi.

Presently I have take off, landing, emergency, forward and back motion worked out. It has flown about 4 meters, but this is all weather permitting at present as I have to test in a field.

The Arduino is running from the charging taps on the Battery pack as well using a simple harness.

05 Nov 2010, 18:27
Profile WWW
Ready for take off

Very nice Symon. Keep us informed. Post a video if you can.

05 Nov 2010, 19:55
Ready for take off

The RC AR.Drone has been done!! :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQkjAxYOUqY

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335257

Brian.

08 Nov 2010, 23:34
Just flips over

New post RC AR.Drone?
Great bit of modding!

I commented on the video cos it would be interesting to see how the AR.Drone handles at altitude being controlled like that - I guess the wifi interface doesn't really alter the max distance but I've asked!

10 Nov 2010, 00:09
Ready for take off

My RC AR.Drone is up and running thanks to Mheeli. I'm using a AR6200(minus the sat rx),5vbec(off the flight bat balance tap) and AsyncLabs YellowJacket Arduino/wifi. I was able to bring it up in a hover, go up/down, yaw left/right, pitch forward/back, sideways left and right and land. I'll do an indoor test flight tomorrow night. I'll post some video

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

26 Nov 2010, 03:58
Strange wobble

buffythesaint,

Is the "go up/down, yaw left/right, pitch forward/back" from RC proxied to AR.AR.Drone's UDP port 5556 with corresponding AT commands (AT*PCMD)?

26 Nov 2010, 08:19
Ready for take off

MAPGPS wrote:
buffythesaint,

Is the "go up/down, yaw left/right, pitch forward/back" from RC proxied to AR.AR.Drone's UDP port 5556 with corresponding AT commands (AT*PCMD)?

You got me MAP :( . I'm a hardware guy, not software. You'll have to ask Mheeli.

26 Nov 2010, 19:45
Just flips over

I think I might be trying this in the future when it's been tweaked a bit more.

Also..would be nice to use one of these (or similar) with it if possible (from the "Radio Controlled Recon Heli" - http://www.geekalerts.com/real-time-vid ... elicopter/ )...

26 Nov 2010, 23:25
Profile WWW
Strange wobble

buffythesaint wrote:
MAPGPS wrote:
buffythesaint,

You got me MAP :( . I'm a hardware guy, not software. You'll have to ask Mheeli.

After looked into the source code made by Mheeli, I got the answer as "Yes" by myself.
There is an app running on YellowJacket to redirect the RC actions into AR.AR.Drone's AT commands.

27 Nov 2010, 03:32
Ready for take off

Here is a flight video of my RC AR AR.Drone. It works very well. No fly away issues with this mod :mrgreen: .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG-m9iB6yQg

27 Nov 2010, 05:24
Battery Charged

That's really cool, but for some of us who have no idea how to do this I guess the old iphone will have to do on less someone comes out with a kit to convert the AR.Drone hint buttythesaint.

27 Nov 2010, 23:05
Ready for take off

Everything can be found here for this mod.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335257

It was very easy to do. The hardest part was to solder it up. If your no good at soldering, I could do it. Just need a YJ and five 6" leads mailed to me. I can have it back in the mail the next day.

Hers a short video of a FPV test flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--sHNtl-x4

Cheers, Brian.

28 Nov 2010, 02:24
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next